Your First Massage at Moyer Total Wellness
Before Your First Massage
Your licensed massage therapist will invite you back to your treatment room and close the door for your pre- massage consultation. This is your opportunity to let your therapist know the reasons you are getting your first massage. The pre-consultation usually consists of a discussion about what kind of pressure you would like during your massage, how much talking you prefer, and what areas of the body you would like worked on (or not worked on). A thorough pre-consultation is the best way for your massage therapist to deliver the results you desire.
- Did you clearly state your #1 reason for getting a massage?
- Did you let your therapist know of any pre-existing health conditions or allergies?
- Do you need to use the restroom?
Starting Your Massage
After the pre-consultation, your massage therapist will leave the room for you to undress to your comfort level. Most clients undress all the way. Our therapists are highly skilled at “draping” to ensure your modesty and are required to leave the sheet on. Next, you will get onto the table under the sheets and blanket. Your therapist will knock and ask you if you are ready for them to come back into the room.
During Your Massage
Once your massage session has started, your massage therapist will check in with you to see if everything regarding the treatment is to your satisfaction. Please communicate with your massage therapist at any time during the massage if there is anything that you would like changed. Our therapists assume you are getting the massage you want if you are not communicating with them.
Things that can be changed during the massage:
- Amount of pressure your therapist is using
- Areas your therapist is working on
- Lighting in the room
- Volume of the music in room
- Temperature of the room
Note: Our 1 hour massage is 55 minutes of “hands-on” bodywork and our 1 ½ hour massage is 80 minutes. We schedule our massages with extra time for the pre and post-massage consultations. Clients who are late to their appointments may have their “hands-on” time cut short.
After Your First Massage
When your session is complete, your therapist will leave the room. Take your time getting off the massage table. There is no hurry. Get completely redressed and then crack the door. When the therapist sees your door is cracked they will re-enter the room with a cup of water and shut the door. At this time, your therapist will let you know what they found during the massage. Your therapist may recommend stretches to help you reach your goals. Massage is therapy and much like other therapies the treatments build upon themselves. The more you come, the more likely you are to reach your desired results.
- Drink water. Hydration will help to eliminate toxins from the body and prevent soreness
- Stretch. Muscles stretch the best when the knots are removed during a massage.
- Rest. It is normal to feel very relaxed after a massage.
- Reschedule. We are a very busy massage center and scheduling while you are still here is the best way to ensure you get the right treatment at the right time.